The Palliative Care Referral Centre in West Herts went live on 1st March 2017. It provides a single point of referral for health and care professionals referring palliative and end of life care patients registered with a Herts Valleys Clinical Commissioning Group GP.
It is a joint partnership between the Hospice of St Francis, Peace Hospice Care, Rennie Grove and Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust. The Referral Centre is based at Peace Hospice Care in Watford. The team of care co-ordinators includes staff from each of the partner organisations.
The new, jointly run, Referral Centre will help to:
- Ensure that patients’ needs are assessed quickly
- Reduce the time it takes to put the appropriate care in place for patients
- Avoid unnecessary hospital admissions
- Provide a seamless transition of care and a single plan of care
- Allow more patients to be cared for in the setting of their choice
- Improve satisfaction for patients, carers and staff
Many patients who need palliative or end of life care prefer not to receive that care in hospital. The Referral Centre, providing a single point of referral, will help many more people to receive the care and support they need more quickly and in the setting of their choice. It will also make referrals to palliative and end of life care services quicker and easier for health and care professionals.
The Referral Centre operates:
- Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays - 10am to 2pm
Patients can be referred for a range of different services:
- Inpatient Unit admission
- Outpatient review by a physiotherapist, occupational therapist or doctor
- Home visit by a doctor
- Support at home by one of our Specialist Nurses
- Assessment by our Supportive Care and Social Work Team
Referrals are prioritised for admission and discussed on a daily basis with the senior clinical team.
We will make direct contact with the referrer to give them an update on when a bed might be available.
For more information about the Referral Centre, or to make a referral, please call: 0333 234 0868 or email: Westherts.email@example.com
Health and care professionals can download a referrals form here:
To download a Referral Form as a PDF, please click here.
To download a Referral Form as a Word Document, please click here.